Sunday, October 7, 2007

My Stereotype Has Broken.

Now that I am more aware about the methods teachers use to teach I see how some teachers "dispense" knowledge into their students and how to spot out the others who broke my stereotype. I know this may make me sound like a brag but my teacher Lisa is someone who I see as a teacher who tries to her best ability to make sure all her students understand the material. I have noticed that her class is about something more than just learning the proper style in writing, it makes me question the world I live in and how to expand on my thoughts. This relationship with Lisa is in a sense awkward because I am not used to having so much aid offered to me. I have Lisa, my classmates, and Maryrose. There is no necessary wrong idea in this class as long as you understand the ideas the author is giving and you can back up your opinion then it is valid. But Lisa is not the only I see that breaks my stereotype, I enjoy my teacher from my psychology class. My teacher Steve gives my the impression that there is no teacher versus student but that in his class we are mutual. I get this impression because he always goes over the homework, quizzes, even exams... to see if we have any questions about it. When we want to suggest a strategy on helping understand the material better he is always willing to try it out to see if it works.
College has opened up a new world for me where as a student I see the different diverse teachers there is here. By this I mean that teachers have different ways to teach and all these different methods give various results. Some may work for certain students and it may not work for others. Knowing that my mind is expanding and I have all this knowledge makes me feel so powerful and confident. I appreciate all the teachers that actually give an effort to make a difference in student's lives.

3 comments:

SHL said...

I agree with you to. Lisa and Mary Rose have been helpful really in improving my writing skills. That's why I love Rhet 101 class except for the quizes.

heavy D said...

i love teachers that not only teach but challeng you in every way, I know lisa dose this, in the years i have known her she has lways challenged my thoughts and ideas, even if she has not realized it. I had one teacher importicular that did this, it was Chef Eisenhower. she was the chef at school that every one feared, because she was shuch a hard case. and she was i am proud to say i had her three time, once in breakfast cookery, cuisines of the mediteranian, and in the american bounty rest. and every classes was hell on earth, but at the end of every class i knew more about myself and food then i ever did before

Mickey said...

The relationship between the student and the teacher really changes once you entr high-school. There is a mutual relationship between and that is really what challenges us, as students and the teachers as well, to make the best of something. I love when teachers challenge us, like Lisa, and that makes me thinking and gets the best of me, which is anyway teh purpose of the univesrity. I liked yu ressay and I hope you had fun at the basketball game.