Sunday, September 9, 2007

The Mindset of a Freshie

As I enter my college classrooms it is no different than the routine I am used to; get there on time, greet your professors, and sit attentively. I do have to recognize that the mindset is different though because in high school some classes did not require my full attention because they were very laid back and I could afford to be distracted unlike my courses here I have to always be prepared to learn and focus. In high school and even grammar school I did not see the harm in a "C" sometimes even a "D" but now that I am in college and see how each and every grade I earn is a contribute to my goal I see the value in it and I work harder for it.
The mindset a student carries into any environment varies the results they bring. I had to learn the hard that when you do not bring an open mind to knowledge you lose a lot more than a lesson from a teacher you can lose a piece of mind and in my book that is worth more. Now that I am in college I look forward to every class eager to the new discussion in class. I have learned that my mindset affects my focus and the chances of getting a better understanding of what is being taught.
Mindsets contribute a lot to a class if every student did not have the mindset to learn in a classroom then there really would not be any point for the professors to teach anything for no one is willing to learn. As part of my new mindset as a college student I tend to sit front of the class to get the most out of my class and to. It makes a difference in the shape my life as a student takes and the course my classes take on me.

3 comments:

SHL said...

yes... I agree sometimes I feel the pressure about my goal and getting a good grade. This is so serious.. ;(

Unknown said...

This is so true what you said because it happens to me. In high school the teachers are just telling you, oh we are preparing you to go to college, but when you get here is a totally different story.

heavy D said...

I agree completly with this, For me it was something completly difrent i did not go to a contemperary colleg but a culinary colleg, so every time i did not pay attention, that was a peace of my craft i was not learning, something that would stop me from creating the best possible dish i could for a guest, and ontop of it my leasons were meals i cooked, that when out for other students, so me neglecting the class, and the knowledge that was being presented to me, was neglecting some one i had i may have never met before, or maybe my best friend